Thursday, January 8, 2015

Real American Girl

Tuesday I was at a local thrift store spending an hour before it was time to pick up my child from dance. I always look at their 18 inch dolls. If they are not too bad, I usually will buy them. The prices range from $4 to $8. My daughter's Journey Girl has a couple of Madame Alexander sisters.
Back to my story, Tuesday I found an American Girl doll for $3.98. Her hair looked a mess but seeing how this was the real deal, I bought her.
I have done the "Downy Dunk" on a couple of other dolls and it worked ok. I went online to see what other advice I could find for genuine AG dolls.
The first thing I noticed was the attention to the brush. I read you should not use plastic bristle brushes since they make the hair frizz. So I went to my local Sally thinking they might have a wig brush (metal bristle brush). Well, they used to carry one but it discontinued. I did pick up some leave-in conditioner for wig hair.
An AG brush can be ordered from their site or even on amazon, but I did not want to wait. I had an "aha" moment last night. Dog brushes have metal bristles. I ran to Wal-Mart and picked one up for $3.
I got home and went to work on her hair. It looks a thousand times better.
What do you think? Sorry I didn't take a better before. It didn't dawn on me to share until after I got started.
Her hair was a frizzy mess.
The only part not tangled was the tips.
This was when I decided to share. I had already done the bottom layer.
All conditioned and brushed.
I pulled her hair back.
My tools: dog brush and wig spray.
Her hair still looks a little frizzy, but you can run a brush through it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment