Sunday, February 14, 2016

Being a "teacher"

I am a teacher in a preschool program. The children in my class are 4 at the beginning of September. Most of them turn 5 before the school year is over. This means most of them can begin kindergarten next year.  (So I will not see them again.)

I was a substitute last year and in no way prepared to be a teacher this year. I thought I knew what it was to be a teacher...yeah, no clue!!

I LOVE my children! I see them only two days a week (some three) and still feel so attached to them. I can see the children that need more from me, the ones that seek my approval, the ones that seek my attention, and the ones that seek my love.

I have a business degree in college, but studied child psychology in my electives. I was raised by a psychology major so I have my fair share of "shrink" think. Even with all this, I was not prepared for how much I would fall in love with my children.

I am a mother of three!! I have my own kids at home. I am not lacking in children to feel "motherly" toward. Yet, there is a love that blossoms from seeing your class children learn, experience and grow.

I have children in my class who's names I know from being a substitute in their class last year. I had a few days to get to know them, but this year to really meet them. Now, I know their smiles, I know what makes them laugh and what makes them sad.

So to every first time mom who worries about their kids and the preschool teachers, please know...we LOVE your kids. I look forward to the days I work and hearing all they have done while away. My kids override all the frustration I may feel at the "system" or the limitations. My kids are why I gladly go to work and why being exhausted is worth it.

My own family knows all about your kids, they have head their names and know who is "naughty or nice."  My "naughty" kids make me try harder and my "nice" kids make the day easier.

I could not have imagined how emotionally exhausting my days can be, yet how rewarding. I know public school teachers have it harder than I do, and I know that the love of their kids is what keeps them going!!

Say "thank you" to your child's teachers...they deserve it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment